Skip to main content

County Fair

August is here and flying by quickly already! One item on our summer checklist that we crossed off this weekend was the Clark County Fair. Since teaching in Vancouver, I have heard many students talk about the fair, so it was fun to finally check it out myself. Jennifer, always up for an adventure, joined us first thing Saturday morning and we spent just a couple hours before heading home for nap time.

The main exhibit hall had a rock 'n roll history display, including instruments that you could play with. Nathan was open to strumming the guitar or hitting the drums, but did not want to wear the headphones to hear his musical creations. 



Nathan loves playing with tractors at home, as well as spotting them when we are out. So, he was anxious to sit on every model that was for sale at the fair. I know this picture doesn't show it, but he was really excited.


Our first objective in going to the fair was for the animals and we were not disappointed. We saw all sorts of cows, llamas, pigs, chickens, rabbits, goats, etc. And unlike the animals at the zoo, these animals were actually making the noises we practice with Nathan at home. Nathan was able to pet many animals, including a goat, a chicken, rabbit and guinea pig. 


Our second objective at the fair was to find some yummy fair food and we succeeded at that as well. Jeff, Nathan and I enjoyed a couple funnel cakes, while Jennifer found herself an elephant ear. 


All in all, our time at the fair was short, but definitely sweet. The three of us were worn out and all took naps upon arriving home. We look forward to going back next year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holidays and Hospitals

Thanksgiving In the hospital still in Husky gear. This has been an eventful holiday season so far with two trips to the emergency room.  The first was a post Thanksgiving treat. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving up in Maple Valley.  We spent it with Erin's dad, her family, and my sister (though we were a bit disappointed she didn't bring her latest beau).  It was a nice holiday as usual.  It was  followed up on Friday by a trip for me and my dad to Husky Stadium to see the Dawgs win yet another Apple Cup. However, shortly after we arrived at home is when the "emergency" occurred.  Erin's dad has a sizable yoga ball, and Erin and Nathan were playing with it rolling it back and forth and the like.  Nathan figured out it was just the right size to plop down on and sort of bounce off.  That turned out to be great fun until instead of landing on his feet or bouncing off the ball again, he took one bounce and landing chin first on the hardwood...

Christmas 2020

Have yourself a merry little Christmas Let your heart be light From now on Our troubles will be out of sight As a result of the pandemic, the model train festival we typically enjoy this time of year was canceled (thus no pictures with Santa). We missed family and friends this year. The fun energy of the last few school days before Winter Break was not quite the same over Zoom. I missed singing carols in church during month of December.  As the season progressed, I couldn't help but reflect on other times in history where celebrations were small and often just a nuclear family. Times and places where travel was too difficult or too expensive to justify leaving home. For those generations of families, the traditions were as simple as reading the Christmas story together or baking a special bread. In so many ways that was our Christmas this year and by seeking the joy in each moment, we found our hearts lighter.  We visited our favorite local tree farm to find THE TREE.  We...

January Appt

So this morning I rushed off to a monthly appointment, my first since "going public". Jeff decided not to go, since he describes these appointments as boring. I like to think of them as boringly good! As a result, there is not a whole lot to report. I am 17 weeks, 2 days today which means I'm in my last week of the fourth month. I have gained 6 pounds since the beginning of this pregnancy, which is a little hard to take. Having been the same weight since high school, this weight gaining thing is going to take some getting used to. One of my students described me as being "round in the middle and skinny everywhere else" (see today's photo for proof). I guess that doesn't sound so bad. I'm doing my best to remind myself that this is a necessary part of the process. My blood pressure was slightly elevated from normal, but the nurse said that could be a result of my rush to arrive in time. Altogether, nothing too much to worry about. I did mention to the...