Skip to main content

Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours!

On Sunday, July 14th, I had the distinct honor of serving as a Groom's Maid in the wedding of our close friend Sam. We first met Sam when he transferred to my school to teach science four years ago. He is an energetic, fun-loving guy that we have enjoyed having in our lives.

Despite my efforts at matchmaking, Sam turned out to be the best man for choosing his future bride. Through one of his many hobbies, swing dancing, Sam met and fell in love with the swing dance teacher Mindy. When he proposed to Mindy earlier this year, I was thrilled for him. Then, he asked me to stand on his side on the day of their wedding, and I was truly honored. Being a Groom's Maid is a little unconventional, maybe less so these days. No, no bachelor party for me! Up until the big day, I participated in bridal events such as the shower, bachelorette party and wedding errands/preparations. Then, when it came to before wedding pictures and when the ceremony began, I was standing on the groom's side, along with Sam's sister and some actual guy friends.
Ceremony location

The wedding was lovely, but sweltering hot! I was glad to have my back to the sun, whereas the bride's maids were facing it, but I was worried about sun burning since I didn't have any sunscreen on. The ceremony was short and sweet (so no burn here) and the newlyweds exited to, "signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours!" I can't wait to see the professional pictures.

The wedding and reception were held at a farm that has magazine worthy gardens around every corner. The barn has been fully outfitted for such occasions and the drive way was transformed into our dining area. Kudos to Jeff for taking pictures of the location since I stated repeatedly that I aspire to make our gardens look just as lush and beautiful!









The bride and groom are both avid swing dancers, so that was central to the post ceremony celebration. Nathan had a great time playing with the bubbles that were available and Jeff patiently looked after him while I attended to my responsibilities.
Let them eat cake!
Nathan getting friendly with the neighbors. 


Unfortunately, I didn't get too many pictures as I didn't carry my camera (I was on duty, you know!).  I snagged a few of the final exit. I'm excited to see the professional pictures as well as watch Sam and Mindy adapt to married life together (in his 600 square foot, 2 bedroom house). Jeff and I both hope to continue our friendship for years to come!





P.S. Today is Jeff and my own wedding anniversary! I can hardly believe it's been eight years, the last few have gone by especially fast (I suppose having kids does that). We spent our day in glamorous fashion, running errands: Home Depot, Lowe's, Costco, Dollar Tree, etc. We did stop for lunch at a popular local bakery which was yummy. Feeling too full after lunch, I passed on dessert, which I'm now regretting. I should have just taken it to go! Oh well.

We leave tomorrow on our big summer road trip to Colorado so more chores to be done! Stay tuned for pictures and details.

Update July 30th: Check out a sneak peak of the professional pictures on the photographer's blog; so beautiful! Click here:  Sam & Mindy's Wedding Pics

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holidays and Hospitals

Thanksgiving In the hospital still in Husky gear. This has been an eventful holiday season so far with two trips to the emergency room.  The first was a post Thanksgiving treat. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving up in Maple Valley.  We spent it with Erin's dad, her family, and my sister (though we were a bit disappointed she didn't bring her latest beau).  It was a nice holiday as usual.  It was  followed up on Friday by a trip for me and my dad to Husky Stadium to see the Dawgs win yet another Apple Cup. However, shortly after we arrived at home is when the "emergency" occurred.  Erin's dad has a sizable yoga ball, and Erin and Nathan were playing with it rolling it back and forth and the like.  Nathan figured out it was just the right size to plop down on and sort of bounce off.  That turned out to be great fun until instead of landing on his feet or bouncing off the ball again, he took one bounce and landing chin first on the hardwood...

Christmas 2020

Have yourself a merry little Christmas Let your heart be light From now on Our troubles will be out of sight As a result of the pandemic, the model train festival we typically enjoy this time of year was canceled (thus no pictures with Santa). We missed family and friends this year. The fun energy of the last few school days before Winter Break was not quite the same over Zoom. I missed singing carols in church during month of December.  As the season progressed, I couldn't help but reflect on other times in history where celebrations were small and often just a nuclear family. Times and places where travel was too difficult or too expensive to justify leaving home. For those generations of families, the traditions were as simple as reading the Christmas story together or baking a special bread. In so many ways that was our Christmas this year and by seeking the joy in each moment, we found our hearts lighter.  We visited our favorite local tree farm to find THE TREE.  We...

January Appt

So this morning I rushed off to a monthly appointment, my first since "going public". Jeff decided not to go, since he describes these appointments as boring. I like to think of them as boringly good! As a result, there is not a whole lot to report. I am 17 weeks, 2 days today which means I'm in my last week of the fourth month. I have gained 6 pounds since the beginning of this pregnancy, which is a little hard to take. Having been the same weight since high school, this weight gaining thing is going to take some getting used to. One of my students described me as being "round in the middle and skinny everywhere else" (see today's photo for proof). I guess that doesn't sound so bad. I'm doing my best to remind myself that this is a necessary part of the process. My blood pressure was slightly elevated from normal, but the nurse said that could be a result of my rush to arrive in time. Altogether, nothing too much to worry about. I did mention to the...