Skip to main content

Year 40


On the last day of my 40 year on this earth, I've decided to sit down and write again.  Doing more writing has been on my mind for quite a while lately.  After all, I am a writing teacher.  I've made goals to read more,  and exercise more with varying degrees of success, but haven't ever really focused on writing.  It just seems harder.  I mean, I'm a writing teacher, I should be able to write, right?  Yes, but there are so many obstacles.  I pick apart my students' writing all the time, and thus my writing should be perfect.  I preach to them to follow the writing process (which sometimes is just too time consuming).  And I am hyper aware of any mistakes I may make when publishing my writing to the world, and there is just the time and energy it takes.  I tell my students all the time to get over it, "brave before perfect," and all that, so it's about time I take my own advice.   So here goes....

So here we are on the eve of turning 41.  What should I start with?  I think I'd like to just reflect on what a great 40th year it has been.  It was almost a year and half ago that Erin started asking me what I wanted to do to celebrate my 40th birthday.   I didn't really have any great ideas.  I thought maybe a weekend someplace fabulous with my bride would be pretty good.  Maybe if I could check another ballpark off on my goal to see every MLB ballpark I'd be satisfied.  I hadn't been to either of the L.A. ballparks and thought they would be pretty good candidates for a quick trip, but as we investigated timing and plane tickets and all I realized I didn't want to celebrate my 40th without Nathan and Andrew.  

What to do then?  How could I do something we all could enjoy to celebrate turning 40?  Well, it quickly became apparent that taking the boys to Disneyland would be just the thing.  After cashing in some miles for free airfare, biting the bullet on park tickets, and finding a hotel literally across the street we were off.  Let me tell you, it was amazing.  And it wasn't just because I love Disneyland, it was mostly because I got to see the glee on Nathan and Andrew's faces as they experienced the magic that is Disneyland for the first time.  At 7 and 5 the line between real and imaginary is still very much a blur.  That wonder of the possibility and of the imagination was so much fun to see.  Sure I didn't get to go on all the rides I wanted to, but I had more fun listening to Andrew belt out It's a Small World  at the top of his lungs 3x than I ever would being able to ride Space Mountain.  I still almost tear up thinking of how much fun it was to see them having so much fun.  It was a great way to celebrate for all of us.  

Going to Disneyland was amazing, but our next trip was one that was on my sports bucket list for quite a while.  Erin and I traveled to Southern California again, this time to watch the Huskies play in the Rose Bowl. And boy was this special.  I'm not sure I ever though I would actually get to attend a Rose Bowl.  This was another trip that had me smiling from ear to ear almost the entire time.  We were able to stay with dear friends who were so kind and cooked amazing food and had great conversation throughout our visit.  We attended the game with friends from college (somehow our trip to the Rose Bowl turned into a UW sorority reunion) and had a blast.  There was purple everywhere and Keith Jackson's voice just streamed through my consciousness all day long.  Despite the final outcome and quite the adventure getting home from the game, it was another amazing trip.  

The trifecta of travel celebration #3 for year number 40 had absolutely nothing to do with my birthday at all.  It was really all about visiting Erin's sister and expanding our cultural experience.  The entire family went to Austria for two full weeks in the summer.  We'd been thinking about visiting Ellen for quite a while and the time just seemed right.  It took quite a bit of planning and a bit of trust, but the end result was wonderful. Vienna is a wonderful city and proved to be a great place for all of us to experience our first trip outside of North America.  There were cultural and historical experiences aplenty, and yet open green space and parks where Erin and I could stop and breathe, and Nathan and Andrew could run and play.  Spending time with Ellen and Thomas and seeing their home was great and something we hope we can do again soon.  

Each of these trips were amazing in completely unique ways.  I'm not sure I could even choose one as my favorite.  Only one really started as a birthday celebration, but since all three occurred roughly in my 40th year, I'm claiming all as part of a 40th year extravaganza.  All three had me overflowing with gratitude for the opportunity to travel and experience things I'd never imagined I would do just 10 years ago.  And more importantly, who I experienced these trips with was more important than anything else.  Erin, Nathan and Andrew are the most important people in my life, and spending time and learning and playing together and just enjoying life is by far the best present I could ever desire.   Erin and I are so grateful to be able to give the boys experiences Erin and I didn't have growing up.  I can't wait for what the future will hold.  Life at 40 really is fabulous.   Although as Erin nears her 40th I am a bit worried that expectations might be a bit high. 



Whew, that wasn't so bad.  Hopefully this post gets me back on the horse.  Please forgive any mistakes and the lack of pictures (I know I could find some great pictures, but if this takes too long I just won't do it often enough, as it is I squeezed this writing session in while waiting for Nathan at church).  I hope to write at least once a month, focusing on family related topics (I'll try to steer clear of politics and the like).  Who knows if anyone will read it, in fact it is almost freeing to think that not many will.  But, as a writing teacher, I feel I need to do some published writing from time to time, even it is only published by me.  Enjoy.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas 2020

Have yourself a merry little Christmas Let your heart be light From now on Our troubles will be out of sight As a result of the pandemic, the model train festival we typically enjoy this time of year was canceled (thus no pictures with Santa). We missed family and friends this year. The fun energy of the last few school days before Winter Break was not quite the same over Zoom. I missed singing carols in church during month of December.  As the season progressed, I couldn't help but reflect on other times in history where celebrations were small and often just a nuclear family. Times and places where travel was too difficult or too expensive to justify leaving home. For those generations of families, the traditions were as simple as reading the Christmas story together or baking a special bread. In so many ways that was our Christmas this year and by seeking the joy in each moment, we found our hearts lighter.  We visited our favorite local tree farm to find THE TREE.  We honored t

As Families Expand so do Cars.

    And our car has certainly expanded.  After much consideration and deliberation which is how we make most of our decisions, Erin and I decided on a new car.  For more extensive background on our deliberation click   here  for my first post on the topic of cars.     Erin and I knew we wanted and somewhat needed a new car.  We've both driven the same two cars since we were married almost 7 years ago.  However, our days of having a car payment were long gone and boy is it nice not to have a car payment.  We also have made a conscious decision not to have more than one car payment at a time, and with my Honda being both just a two door vehicle and approaching 14 years old with over 150,000 miles it was the logical one to replace.    Of course until recently, I had not had a full-time job and our budget was not always in the black, so the idea of purchasing even a new used car was a ways in the distance.  However, I was able to pick up full-time work at school with the addition of

Nathan, 18 months

Can you believe it? Can you believe that Little Man Nate is already 18 months? Nathan's Famous Hot Dog on Halloween. At 18 months, Nathan is 33.25 inches tall and nearly 29 pounds, but mostly, he is on the go. Nathan is curious about the world around him, spending lots of time opening doors or drawers, saying "uh-oh" when he finds something new. I know for certain I will have to buy a new set of measuring cups when we move again, as Nathan has adopted some into his toy collection, while others are just plain MIA. He loves pushing his cars, trucks and lawn mower around the house. He is quickly learning to match shapes with puzzles and point to his nose, ears and belly. He uses sign language to say "please" and "more" as well as ask for "help". We have just started practicing the sign for "thank you" and he seems to be grasping that one. Nathan will put his cup in the refrigerator or sink when he is "all done", and u