Skip to main content

Five Months Old



 

I apologize for the delay in writing this latest blog; the first week since Nathan turned five months has been busy! In the interest of getting this posted, I will upload the pictures at a later time (so you'll have to come back again). *Pictures added!*

Since about the middle of October, Nathan has reached milestones that remind us how quickly he is growing. First, we moved him from our bedroom to his own room we so lovingly decorated. We knew it was becoming time to move him, and the pediatrician confirmed that he (and we) may sleep better if we made this change. The first night, I sat on my side of the bed and looked at the empty Pack N Play stationed there, missing the fact that I could no longer just look over and see our sleeping angel. Jeff laughed with me and then confirmed it was, "time to reclaim our bedroom". We have the monitor plugged in so I feel assured I can listen to him anytime I like. In the time since moving, Nathan sleeps pretty regularly, waking twice between 9pm and 6am, the hours I want to sleep. All in all, a great decision.

Second, Nathan has started to try some new foods! As is customary, we started with rice cereal, then mashed bananas and most recently applesauce. After some initial hesitation, he seems enthusiastic about the spoon and opens his mouth wide at times. Once the food is in his mouth, he doesn't quite seem to know what to do with it and it generally comes drooling back out.

Unfortunately, the arrival of November brought Nathan's first illness. He had been congested for several weeks and a few days before Halloween, developed a small cough. Given that he was eating, sleeping and behaving normally, the two ailments were no cause for concern. Last Tuesday, however, I picked Nathan up from school and discovered he had a fever of 101.4! Obviously the school asked he stay home at least a day. Jeff made plans to stay home while I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Chrissie. She diagnosed him with something akin to Bronchitis, explaining that his condition would be considered a cold in most adults, but the condition is worse in his little body. Fluids, rest, the vaporizer and Tylenol as needed were all she could recommend. Jeff said Nate wanted to be held more than usual which makes sense as he was sick. Who wouldn't want more cuddles when sick? Jeff stayed home a second day and I stayed home with him the third. By this time, Nate had generously shared his germs with me and we both felt pretty bad. We spent most of Friday cuddling in bed, with the vaporizer quietly puffing nearby. By the fourth day, Nate was showing signs of improvement: smiles, movements, etc. I, however, could not say the same and had to miss the last game in Husky stadium, tickets we had purchased several months ago. A week later, he still has a little cough, but appears otherwise to have returned to good health. We are thankful! It is hard to watch such a little guy endure the uncomfortable feelings of being sick. I am also on the mend, though a cough and congestion seem to wax and wane. Jeff seems also to be picking up some of the symptoms that Nathan and I have endured.

November will continue as a busy one for the Davolt household as we travel to Boise for the long Veteran's Day weekend and then Nate's first Thanksgiving will be here not long after. We are still trying to decide what our plans for this first major holiday will be.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holidays and Hospitals

Thanksgiving In the hospital still in Husky gear. This has been an eventful holiday season so far with two trips to the emergency room.  The first was a post Thanksgiving treat. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving up in Maple Valley.  We spent it with Erin's dad, her family, and my sister (though we were a bit disappointed she didn't bring her latest beau).  It was a nice holiday as usual.  It was  followed up on Friday by a trip for me and my dad to Husky Stadium to see the Dawgs win yet another Apple Cup. However, shortly after we arrived at home is when the "emergency" occurred.  Erin's dad has a sizable yoga ball, and Erin and Nathan were playing with it rolling it back and forth and the like.  Nathan figured out it was just the right size to plop down on and sort of bounce off.  That turned out to be great fun until instead of landing on his feet or bouncing off the ball again, he took one bounce and landing chin first on the hardwood...

Christmas 2020

Have yourself a merry little Christmas Let your heart be light From now on Our troubles will be out of sight As a result of the pandemic, the model train festival we typically enjoy this time of year was canceled (thus no pictures with Santa). We missed family and friends this year. The fun energy of the last few school days before Winter Break was not quite the same over Zoom. I missed singing carols in church during month of December.  As the season progressed, I couldn't help but reflect on other times in history where celebrations were small and often just a nuclear family. Times and places where travel was too difficult or too expensive to justify leaving home. For those generations of families, the traditions were as simple as reading the Christmas story together or baking a special bread. In so many ways that was our Christmas this year and by seeking the joy in each moment, we found our hearts lighter.  We visited our favorite local tree farm to find THE TREE.  We...

January Appt

So this morning I rushed off to a monthly appointment, my first since "going public". Jeff decided not to go, since he describes these appointments as boring. I like to think of them as boringly good! As a result, there is not a whole lot to report. I am 17 weeks, 2 days today which means I'm in my last week of the fourth month. I have gained 6 pounds since the beginning of this pregnancy, which is a little hard to take. Having been the same weight since high school, this weight gaining thing is going to take some getting used to. One of my students described me as being "round in the middle and skinny everywhere else" (see today's photo for proof). I guess that doesn't sound so bad. I'm doing my best to remind myself that this is a necessary part of the process. My blood pressure was slightly elevated from normal, but the nurse said that could be a result of my rush to arrive in time. Altogether, nothing too much to worry about. I did mention to the...