Skip to main content

2018 Year in Review

Hello again! Merry Christmas! Welcome to our digital Christmas letter!

Love Always,
Jeff, Erin, Nathan (7), and Andrew (5)


Highlights from 2018

  1. Year round walks to Lake Wilderness Park and arboretum.
    • A new playground was installed in January to the delight of the boys. 
    • By spring, Nathan was playing t-ball and we would walk down for practice and games each week. 
    • In summer, the boys loved playing in the lake, splashing Jeff or me, and showing off their skills from swimming lessons. Standing in the lake in summer, watching the eagles swoop overhead, brought back so many memories from my own childhood. But man, the park and the lake is a much busier place now!
    • As fall turned leaves to golden yellow, a walk down the trails would reveal painted rocks hidden by creative neighbors. 
    • And every trip to the park includes looking for Mt. Rainier's majestic beauty over the lake. 
  2. Vacation Time: we sure do love and appreciate the time we get as a family during vacations. 
    • We enjoyed our first Mid-Winter Break in February; a week I longed for while living in SW Washington. Thanks to my dad for tickets and babysitting, Jeff and I were able to see Hamilton at the Paramount Theater. 
    • I was lucky to spend Spring Break with my dearest college girlfriends in Austin, Texas. We went two-stepping with cowboys, ate delicious food all over town, and drove to Waco to eat at Magnolia Table and visit the Silos, made famous by HGTV's Chip and Jo.
    • A family trip to Disneyland in August. We visited with friends, Meg & David, went to an Angel's baseball game (they won), and spent three days in Disney and CA adventure. It was a busy vacation, but we all enjoyed it thoroughly. 
    • In addition, we made three trips to Boise this year, visiting Jeff's family, and spent several days on the Oregon Coast for a family reunion.
  3. Love the people in our lives.
    • All four of us love the time we have with my dad and appreciate all the ways he helps us.
    • We're grateful for many visits with Jeff's family this year, both at our home and elsewhere. 
    • Neighbors with kids that we enjoy spending time with at the park or one of our homes.
    • Semi-monthly visits with college friends and their families. Five kids under seven makes it high-energy, but it's become another family for us.  
    • I'm thrilled that one of my favorite teacher-friends from Vancouver decided to move to MV after her son and his family moved here. Sue has become my local wine date and I'm grateful for her friendship, catching up on books read.
    • We love hearing from our Portland/Vancouver friends when they're in the area or want to come stay: Sam, Todd & Karen, and Jennifer & C.Todd.

      First Seattle Storm Game




      The Big Bad Wolf (Nathan)

Goals for the New Year 2019

I can hope for a Husky win at the Rose Bowl! 
  1. Jeff and I are making plans for a family trip to Austria to visit Ellen and Thomas. Having never been abroad before, this has taken plenty of mental processing, considering a wide assortment of options and possibilities. While we still make some decisions, I've started learning basic German by listening to Coffee Break Languages podcast.
  2. Andrew is in his final year of pre-school and is more than excited about Kindergarten next fall. Nathan is excited to introduce his little brother to elementary school, including the freedom to drink chocolate milk at lunch every day. 
  3. I have started working on National Board teacher certification, but have yet to decide whether I'll finish it in 2019 or stagger the work out until 2020. Jeff has taken on leadership at his school as Technology Integration Specialist, which means he is a building resource for technology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holidays and Hospitals

Thanksgiving In the hospital still in Husky gear. This has been an eventful holiday season so far with two trips to the emergency room.  The first was a post Thanksgiving treat. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving up in Maple Valley.  We spent it with Erin's dad, her family, and my sister (though we were a bit disappointed she didn't bring her latest beau).  It was a nice holiday as usual.  It was  followed up on Friday by a trip for me and my dad to Husky Stadium to see the Dawgs win yet another Apple Cup. However, shortly after we arrived at home is when the "emergency" occurred.  Erin's dad has a sizable yoga ball, and Erin and Nathan were playing with it rolling it back and forth and the like.  Nathan figured out it was just the right size to plop down on and sort of bounce off.  That turned out to be great fun until instead of landing on his feet or bouncing off the ball again, he took one bounce and landing chin first on the hardwood...

Christmas 2020

Have yourself a merry little Christmas Let your heart be light From now on Our troubles will be out of sight As a result of the pandemic, the model train festival we typically enjoy this time of year was canceled (thus no pictures with Santa). We missed family and friends this year. The fun energy of the last few school days before Winter Break was not quite the same over Zoom. I missed singing carols in church during month of December.  As the season progressed, I couldn't help but reflect on other times in history where celebrations were small and often just a nuclear family. Times and places where travel was too difficult or too expensive to justify leaving home. For those generations of families, the traditions were as simple as reading the Christmas story together or baking a special bread. In so many ways that was our Christmas this year and by seeking the joy in each moment, we found our hearts lighter.  We visited our favorite local tree farm to find THE TREE.  We...

January Appt

So this morning I rushed off to a monthly appointment, my first since "going public". Jeff decided not to go, since he describes these appointments as boring. I like to think of them as boringly good! As a result, there is not a whole lot to report. I am 17 weeks, 2 days today which means I'm in my last week of the fourth month. I have gained 6 pounds since the beginning of this pregnancy, which is a little hard to take. Having been the same weight since high school, this weight gaining thing is going to take some getting used to. One of my students described me as being "round in the middle and skinny everywhere else" (see today's photo for proof). I guess that doesn't sound so bad. I'm doing my best to remind myself that this is a necessary part of the process. My blood pressure was slightly elevated from normal, but the nurse said that could be a result of my rush to arrive in time. Altogether, nothing too much to worry about. I did mention to the...