Skip to main content

Summer time...and the livin' is easy!


Is there anything better than summer vacation? I mean, really, when you were a child, wasn't that the best time, full of the best memories? For so many reasons, I feel so blessed to have been called to a career in education, and summer vacation is like the cherry on top! Eight weeks of staying up late watching movies, wearing shorts and no make up, last minute road trips and tons of time with my growing boy.

Seven years of marriage! No itching here!
It's even more enjoyable now that Jeff is also enjoying his summer off. Sort of. Oh, you haven't heard about Jeff's endless teaching? While I look forward to spending my time with little to no formal schedule, Jeff has diligently taken on two rounds of summer school. The first was a continuation of his primary teaching job, helping seniors pick up just one or two more credits to graduate. The second is teaching incoming sixth graders in a program designed to aid the transition to middle school and hopefully reduce the chance those students end up in his credit recovery program six years later.

Despite Jeff's summer teaching, we have been very lucky to take some fun summer trips this year! We started by visiting my family in Maple Valley, although I don't seem to have pictures of that.

 Then, a road trip to Boise to meet Nathan's new baby cousin Elliot and celebrate Independence Day.

These beautiful fireworks were right above the house.

Nathan, JD and Elliot


 I flew to Sacramento for four days of AVID Summer Institute. AVID is one of the classes I teach. It was great to have a hotel room to myself and go out to eat and hang out with my AWESOME colleagues.
Is this my pageant pose?!?



Then, off to a weekend at the beach with Jeff's extended family. It is always fun to watch the mass of second cousins playing together and it was even more fun just to watch Nathan patiently play in the sand.
Our beach house in Netarts, OR
A room with a view.

Nathan LOVES playing in the sand on the water at the beach.


Nathan wasn't deterred by the cold water on his toes and would have gone back for more.



Back home, Nathan is still going to school twice a week, which is a great social time for him and quiet time for us. We have visited the library, the park, the mall, Jeff's school, the Vancouver Farmer's Market and lounged around the backyard. Jeff made Nathan a super cool fort out of some cardboard boxes, which he has saved in the garage for more than a year, just for this purpose.



Lastly, a camping trip in Newport, OR with friends. We spied on the fish at the aquarium, and played on the beach on a BEAUTIFUL sunny day.


Our friend Megan shooting her son Bennett with bubbles!

Since returning home, life around the Davolt household has become even crazier, but I'll explain that in another post. In the meantime, I'm trying to enjoy every minute of these last four weeks or so of summer vacation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holidays and Hospitals

Thanksgiving In the hospital still in Husky gear. This has been an eventful holiday season so far with two trips to the emergency room.  The first was a post Thanksgiving treat. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving up in Maple Valley.  We spent it with Erin's dad, her family, and my sister (though we were a bit disappointed she didn't bring her latest beau).  It was a nice holiday as usual.  It was  followed up on Friday by a trip for me and my dad to Husky Stadium to see the Dawgs win yet another Apple Cup. However, shortly after we arrived at home is when the "emergency" occurred.  Erin's dad has a sizable yoga ball, and Erin and Nathan were playing with it rolling it back and forth and the like.  Nathan figured out it was just the right size to plop down on and sort of bounce off.  That turned out to be great fun until instead of landing on his feet or bouncing off the ball again, he took one bounce and landing chin first on the hardwood...

Christmas 2020

Have yourself a merry little Christmas Let your heart be light From now on Our troubles will be out of sight As a result of the pandemic, the model train festival we typically enjoy this time of year was canceled (thus no pictures with Santa). We missed family and friends this year. The fun energy of the last few school days before Winter Break was not quite the same over Zoom. I missed singing carols in church during month of December.  As the season progressed, I couldn't help but reflect on other times in history where celebrations were small and often just a nuclear family. Times and places where travel was too difficult or too expensive to justify leaving home. For those generations of families, the traditions were as simple as reading the Christmas story together or baking a special bread. In so many ways that was our Christmas this year and by seeking the joy in each moment, we found our hearts lighter.  We visited our favorite local tree farm to find THE TREE.  We...

January Appt

So this morning I rushed off to a monthly appointment, my first since "going public". Jeff decided not to go, since he describes these appointments as boring. I like to think of them as boringly good! As a result, there is not a whole lot to report. I am 17 weeks, 2 days today which means I'm in my last week of the fourth month. I have gained 6 pounds since the beginning of this pregnancy, which is a little hard to take. Having been the same weight since high school, this weight gaining thing is going to take some getting used to. One of my students described me as being "round in the middle and skinny everywhere else" (see today's photo for proof). I guess that doesn't sound so bad. I'm doing my best to remind myself that this is a necessary part of the process. My blood pressure was slightly elevated from normal, but the nurse said that could be a result of my rush to arrive in time. Altogether, nothing too much to worry about. I did mention to the...