Skip to main content

Nathan's First Birthday

 Nathan is one year old! Okay, okay, today he is one year and one month old but the following is all about his FIRST birthday. I know it's totally cliche to say, but he is growing up SO fast!

Leading up to the day of the party, I was suffering from "Pinterest Pressure". I love finding ideas on Pinterest, as many do, but the birthday party pictures I came across were magazine perfection. I am neither crafty enough nor have enough time in the busy end of year weeks to recreate the beautiful color coordinated buffet tables and decor I found.

After a few brainstorming trips to the party supply store, the craft store, the thrift store, etc. I made a simple banner seen in the first picture above, which reads, "Happy Birthday", the felt triangle banner attached to his high chair and a blue cake. More crafty Auntie Ellen made Nathan's princely crown and helpful Auntie Jennifer played paparazzi for the day (she took all the pictures).  Nathan enjoyed the cake but was less than crazy about present opening (cried every time Mom tore the paper open). 

In the end, the sun shone more than forecasters were predicting and we had a nice party. We were truly thankful to have so many friends and family come celebrate with us. Each of you play an important role in Nathan's life!

Nathan and his Great-Grandma Davolt



The next day, Jeff and I took a few photos of Nathan in our brown leather chair, as we have been doing since the first month. He hardly sits still anymore, making it tricky to catch a good shot. Nathan is getting closer to walking each day. He loves to hold hands and parade around the house or to cruise along the walls and furniture. I'm hoping that our summer together will allow me to catch those first few steps.


Last but not least, we took Nathan to get some portraits taken to honor his first birthday. We ordered a few for ourselves and immediate family. In addition, we purchased the CD copy of the photo session so we can reprint as many as needed and include them here as well.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holidays and Hospitals

Thanksgiving In the hospital still in Husky gear. This has been an eventful holiday season so far with two trips to the emergency room.  The first was a post Thanksgiving treat. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving up in Maple Valley.  We spent it with Erin's dad, her family, and my sister (though we were a bit disappointed she didn't bring her latest beau).  It was a nice holiday as usual.  It was  followed up on Friday by a trip for me and my dad to Husky Stadium to see the Dawgs win yet another Apple Cup. However, shortly after we arrived at home is when the "emergency" occurred.  Erin's dad has a sizable yoga ball, and Erin and Nathan were playing with it rolling it back and forth and the like.  Nathan figured out it was just the right size to plop down on and sort of bounce off.  That turned out to be great fun until instead of landing on his feet or bouncing off the ball again, he took one bounce and landing chin first on the hardwood...

Christmas 2020

Have yourself a merry little Christmas Let your heart be light From now on Our troubles will be out of sight As a result of the pandemic, the model train festival we typically enjoy this time of year was canceled (thus no pictures with Santa). We missed family and friends this year. The fun energy of the last few school days before Winter Break was not quite the same over Zoom. I missed singing carols in church during month of December.  As the season progressed, I couldn't help but reflect on other times in history where celebrations were small and often just a nuclear family. Times and places where travel was too difficult or too expensive to justify leaving home. For those generations of families, the traditions were as simple as reading the Christmas story together or baking a special bread. In so many ways that was our Christmas this year and by seeking the joy in each moment, we found our hearts lighter.  We visited our favorite local tree farm to find THE TREE.  We...

January Appt

So this morning I rushed off to a monthly appointment, my first since "going public". Jeff decided not to go, since he describes these appointments as boring. I like to think of them as boringly good! As a result, there is not a whole lot to report. I am 17 weeks, 2 days today which means I'm in my last week of the fourth month. I have gained 6 pounds since the beginning of this pregnancy, which is a little hard to take. Having been the same weight since high school, this weight gaining thing is going to take some getting used to. One of my students described me as being "round in the middle and skinny everywhere else" (see today's photo for proof). I guess that doesn't sound so bad. I'm doing my best to remind myself that this is a necessary part of the process. My blood pressure was slightly elevated from normal, but the nurse said that could be a result of my rush to arrive in time. Altogether, nothing too much to worry about. I did mention to the...