Skip to main content

Dear Nathan,

As Nathan just turned one, it was suggested that I write him a letter, to be read, well, later when he can actually read.  Since, 1. I don't actually write and 2.  I would lose it, if I actually put pen to paper, I thought I would just write it here so it would be easy to find later and show Nathan.

Dear Nathan,

   You are now one whole year old, it has been a great year.  You have grown so much in such a little time. You started as just a tiny little guy, and quickly exploded to the biggest 3 month old I have ever seen.  (seriously, you were huge)  Luckily you are now just perfect.  It has been so wonderful to watch you grow and learn.  Your curiosity inspires me, there is so much for you to learn, and you attack life with such energy until that is you collapse, sleep, recharge and do it all over again.
   Your mom and I recently took a parenting class.  Since you are so young and currently the perfect child, as of yet, we have had little experience having to discipline you or tell you no.  In this class we heard many stories of conflict between parents and their children.  Stories of yelling, of conflict, of long-term disagreement and even shouting.  The day will come that we have to discipline you or that the you will disagree with decisions that are made.  One day we may even raise our voices toward each other and we may even say things we don't really mean.
   Despite this inevitability, I want you to know that everything I do and every decision I make I will do my best to make with your best interest in mind.  I love you and only want the best for you and our family.  Someday we will disagree, but know that whatever that disagreement I still love you.  There is nothing you or I could do that would stop me from loving you.  You are our "Sweet boy."
   You can do anything you want in this life.  The future is yours.  Your mom and I want you to be happy, successful, and of course to know love.  We will do our best to model that love and hope you too will grow up to know Christ and His love.  We will support you in all your endeavors.  Just be sure that one of those involves the University of Washington.

I love you, Happy first birthday!

Your Dad.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holidays and Hospitals

Thanksgiving In the hospital still in Husky gear. This has been an eventful holiday season so far with two trips to the emergency room.  The first was a post Thanksgiving treat. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving up in Maple Valley.  We spent it with Erin's dad, her family, and my sister (though we were a bit disappointed she didn't bring her latest beau).  It was a nice holiday as usual.  It was  followed up on Friday by a trip for me and my dad to Husky Stadium to see the Dawgs win yet another Apple Cup. However, shortly after we arrived at home is when the "emergency" occurred.  Erin's dad has a sizable yoga ball, and Erin and Nathan were playing with it rolling it back and forth and the like.  Nathan figured out it was just the right size to plop down on and sort of bounce off.  That turned out to be great fun until instead of landing on his feet or bouncing off the ball again, he took one bounce and landing chin first on the hardwood...

Christmas 2020

Have yourself a merry little Christmas Let your heart be light From now on Our troubles will be out of sight As a result of the pandemic, the model train festival we typically enjoy this time of year was canceled (thus no pictures with Santa). We missed family and friends this year. The fun energy of the last few school days before Winter Break was not quite the same over Zoom. I missed singing carols in church during month of December.  As the season progressed, I couldn't help but reflect on other times in history where celebrations were small and often just a nuclear family. Times and places where travel was too difficult or too expensive to justify leaving home. For those generations of families, the traditions were as simple as reading the Christmas story together or baking a special bread. In so many ways that was our Christmas this year and by seeking the joy in each moment, we found our hearts lighter.  We visited our favorite local tree farm to find THE TREE.  We...

January Appt

So this morning I rushed off to a monthly appointment, my first since "going public". Jeff decided not to go, since he describes these appointments as boring. I like to think of them as boringly good! As a result, there is not a whole lot to report. I am 17 weeks, 2 days today which means I'm in my last week of the fourth month. I have gained 6 pounds since the beginning of this pregnancy, which is a little hard to take. Having been the same weight since high school, this weight gaining thing is going to take some getting used to. One of my students described me as being "round in the middle and skinny everywhere else" (see today's photo for proof). I guess that doesn't sound so bad. I'm doing my best to remind myself that this is a necessary part of the process. My blood pressure was slightly elevated from normal, but the nurse said that could be a result of my rush to arrive in time. Altogether, nothing too much to worry about. I did mention to the...