Skip to main content

Rainy Sunday Parkways

16 weeks
 Today was the last Sunday Parkways of the season. Parkways are one of our favorite events in Portland, as the city closes streets in a designated neighborhood to allow for bicycle and pedestrian traffic to take over for several hours. Our participation has been quite limited this year as Nathan is not old enough for bicycle carriers. When he was about three weeks old, we walked part of the North Portland route. Today, the Parkways came to our neighborhood and Jennifer, Nathan and I set out in the fall weather (blustery and cool followed by total downpour and drenched). To prepare for the cooler weather, I finally put Nathan into his first pair of jeans. I love how they look on, but are significantly more work to put on and take off compared to the sweats he usually wears.

Since Nathan is growing, I adjusted his stroller so he is no longer lying flat, but reclined slightly. He didn't seem to notice the difference much and didn't pay any more attention to his surroundings. Bundled with a warm lap quilt, we headed toward the nearest park to find food for Jennifer and myself first. After eating, we began to walk the Parkways route when the skies truly opened and we were stuck in the first real downpour of the season. We hid out under the cover of trees while the storm passed and then I decided I was ready to go home again. Nathan, of course, slept through the entire storm. Once home, Jennifer grabbed her bike and went back to the parkways, while Nathan enjoyed a little tummy time at home.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holidays and Hospitals

Thanksgiving In the hospital still in Husky gear. This has been an eventful holiday season so far with two trips to the emergency room.  The first was a post Thanksgiving treat. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving up in Maple Valley.  We spent it with Erin's dad, her family, and my sister (though we were a bit disappointed she didn't bring her latest beau).  It was a nice holiday as usual.  It was  followed up on Friday by a trip for me and my dad to Husky Stadium to see the Dawgs win yet another Apple Cup. However, shortly after we arrived at home is when the "emergency" occurred.  Erin's dad has a sizable yoga ball, and Erin and Nathan were playing with it rolling it back and forth and the like.  Nathan figured out it was just the right size to plop down on and sort of bounce off.  That turned out to be great fun until instead of landing on his feet or bouncing off the ball again, he took one bounce and landing chin first on the hardwood...

Christmas 2020

Have yourself a merry little Christmas Let your heart be light From now on Our troubles will be out of sight As a result of the pandemic, the model train festival we typically enjoy this time of year was canceled (thus no pictures with Santa). We missed family and friends this year. The fun energy of the last few school days before Winter Break was not quite the same over Zoom. I missed singing carols in church during month of December.  As the season progressed, I couldn't help but reflect on other times in history where celebrations were small and often just a nuclear family. Times and places where travel was too difficult or too expensive to justify leaving home. For those generations of families, the traditions were as simple as reading the Christmas story together or baking a special bread. In so many ways that was our Christmas this year and by seeking the joy in each moment, we found our hearts lighter.  We visited our favorite local tree farm to find THE TREE.  We...

January Appt

So this morning I rushed off to a monthly appointment, my first since "going public". Jeff decided not to go, since he describes these appointments as boring. I like to think of them as boringly good! As a result, there is not a whole lot to report. I am 17 weeks, 2 days today which means I'm in my last week of the fourth month. I have gained 6 pounds since the beginning of this pregnancy, which is a little hard to take. Having been the same weight since high school, this weight gaining thing is going to take some getting used to. One of my students described me as being "round in the middle and skinny everywhere else" (see today's photo for proof). I guess that doesn't sound so bad. I'm doing my best to remind myself that this is a necessary part of the process. My blood pressure was slightly elevated from normal, but the nurse said that could be a result of my rush to arrive in time. Altogether, nothing too much to worry about. I did mention to the...