Skip to main content

Nathan's First Wedding

One Month Old
Saturday, July 2nd was Nathan's one month birthday. He is growing more each day and no longer wears the newborn diapers and most of his newborn clothes.

We had a wedding to attend that day for a friend from work. It was the first Catholic wedding for Jeff and me so we arrived curious as to what might take place. Held at St. Mary's Cathedral in downtown Portland, the ceremony was much more formal than previous weddings we have attended. From the moment we arrived, I could tell it was different because all the men were in suits and the women in cocktail dresses (making me feel too casual in my skirt-shirt combo). It was a beautiful ceremony, the groom (our colleague) was beaming and the bride was beautiful. We felt honored to share in their day!

Nathan endured the hour long ceremony quite well, only fussing a bit near the end. I did give him his first bottle during the ceremony, which he gulped down faster than I could believe. When preparing the bottle, I wasn't quite sure how many ounces he would need, but after a couple quick texts to two friends, thought I had planned accurately. Naturally, there were many volunteers to hold Nathan during the reception, including a gal who is expecting her first in November. She even offered to hold him during dinner so I could eat (which I took her up on)!

We have two more weddings on our calendar this year and we hope that Nate will behave just as well for those.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holidays and Hospitals

Thanksgiving In the hospital still in Husky gear. This has been an eventful holiday season so far with two trips to the emergency room.  The first was a post Thanksgiving treat. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving up in Maple Valley.  We spent it with Erin's dad, her family, and my sister (though we were a bit disappointed she didn't bring her latest beau).  It was a nice holiday as usual.  It was  followed up on Friday by a trip for me and my dad to Husky Stadium to see the Dawgs win yet another Apple Cup. However, shortly after we arrived at home is when the "emergency" occurred.  Erin's dad has a sizable yoga ball, and Erin and Nathan were playing with it rolling it back and forth and the like.  Nathan figured out it was just the right size to plop down on and sort of bounce off.  That turned out to be great fun until instead of landing on his feet or bouncing off the ball again, he took one bounce and landing chin first on the hardwood...

Christmas 2020

Have yourself a merry little Christmas Let your heart be light From now on Our troubles will be out of sight As a result of the pandemic, the model train festival we typically enjoy this time of year was canceled (thus no pictures with Santa). We missed family and friends this year. The fun energy of the last few school days before Winter Break was not quite the same over Zoom. I missed singing carols in church during month of December.  As the season progressed, I couldn't help but reflect on other times in history where celebrations were small and often just a nuclear family. Times and places where travel was too difficult or too expensive to justify leaving home. For those generations of families, the traditions were as simple as reading the Christmas story together or baking a special bread. In so many ways that was our Christmas this year and by seeking the joy in each moment, we found our hearts lighter.  We visited our favorite local tree farm to find THE TREE.  We...

January Appt

So this morning I rushed off to a monthly appointment, my first since "going public". Jeff decided not to go, since he describes these appointments as boring. I like to think of them as boringly good! As a result, there is not a whole lot to report. I am 17 weeks, 2 days today which means I'm in my last week of the fourth month. I have gained 6 pounds since the beginning of this pregnancy, which is a little hard to take. Having been the same weight since high school, this weight gaining thing is going to take some getting used to. One of my students described me as being "round in the middle and skinny everywhere else" (see today's photo for proof). I guess that doesn't sound so bad. I'm doing my best to remind myself that this is a necessary part of the process. My blood pressure was slightly elevated from normal, but the nurse said that could be a result of my rush to arrive in time. Altogether, nothing too much to worry about. I did mention to the...