Skip to main content

March (Baby) Madness

In addition to preparing the baby's room (see previous post), we have been preparing ourselves for baby! Last week, we started our Childbirth Prep classes which will meet weekly for ten weeks, including sessions on Breastfeeding and Baby Care. It's nice to sit next to Jeff and know we are in this together and learning new things already.

Yesterday, I had another OB appointment which was pretty typical. I have gained 20 pounds, which makes me nervous for the next three months. I asked the OB about the weight gain and she didn't seem concerned at all. She did remind me that right now, my little guy is gaining his weight so I should anticipate higher numbers on the scale. Yikes! My blood pressure was low, per usual (110/60), which is good. I had my glucose test as well, which meant drinking a beverage that tasted like flat orange soda, and was actually pretty good. An hour later, they drew my blood to see how my body is processing the sugar and if I am at risk of Gestational Diabetes. I haven't heard any results, but it is the weekend.

As of today, I am 28 weeks, which makes me officially in my third trimester! Baby Davolt is moving as much as always, sometimes kicking so hard, it catches me for a moment. I enjoy having the reassurance that he's in there. It seems when Jeff tries to feel it, Baby D will often stop until Jeff's hand is gone again. Jeff has felt it a few times, but just says it feels like his own stomach. Huh? My stomach has never done that to me! Haha...

As an almost final thought, I had a funny incident with a former student last week. A very sweet young lady that I taught as a sixth grader my first year of teaching, who is always saying hello in the halls, two years later. As I was clearing my lunch tray, she came running up to me and shouted, "You have a baby in there!" Before I could respond, she had her ear to my belly and was rubbing it with her hands. I was a little shocked and didn't quite know what to do! So, I just said, "Yes, I do, but he's a little quiet right now" and suggested we both head off to class. I have read about people wanting to touch pregnant bellies (with or without mother's permission) but I never imagined someone's ear to my belly (aside from Jeff's perhaps)! Again, she is a very sweet young lady.

Coming Up:

  • We are taking a tour of the hospital tomorrow. We are delivering at Legacy Emanuel Hospital as it's closest to us (we rode our bikes there last summer to visit Jeff's uncle when he was a guest). If I recall correctly, it's also the hospital where my Grandma Shirley was born in 1920.
  • Next Saturday, April 2nd, Jennifer and I are flying to Spokane for a baby shower generously hosted by Jeff's Aunts Sherry and Mary Lynn. I am looking forward to seeing all the lovely ladies in the Lawrence family and spending a few days together.
  • I don't yet have my next OB appointment scheduled, but it should be somewhere in the week before Easter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holidays and Hospitals

Thanksgiving In the hospital still in Husky gear. This has been an eventful holiday season so far with two trips to the emergency room.  The first was a post Thanksgiving treat. We had a wonderful Thanksgiving up in Maple Valley.  We spent it with Erin's dad, her family, and my sister (though we were a bit disappointed she didn't bring her latest beau).  It was a nice holiday as usual.  It was  followed up on Friday by a trip for me and my dad to Husky Stadium to see the Dawgs win yet another Apple Cup. However, shortly after we arrived at home is when the "emergency" occurred.  Erin's dad has a sizable yoga ball, and Erin and Nathan were playing with it rolling it back and forth and the like.  Nathan figured out it was just the right size to plop down on and sort of bounce off.  That turned out to be great fun until instead of landing on his feet or bouncing off the ball again, he took one bounce and landing chin first on the hardwood...

Christmas 2020

Have yourself a merry little Christmas Let your heart be light From now on Our troubles will be out of sight As a result of the pandemic, the model train festival we typically enjoy this time of year was canceled (thus no pictures with Santa). We missed family and friends this year. The fun energy of the last few school days before Winter Break was not quite the same over Zoom. I missed singing carols in church during month of December.  As the season progressed, I couldn't help but reflect on other times in history where celebrations were small and often just a nuclear family. Times and places where travel was too difficult or too expensive to justify leaving home. For those generations of families, the traditions were as simple as reading the Christmas story together or baking a special bread. In so many ways that was our Christmas this year and by seeking the joy in each moment, we found our hearts lighter.  We visited our favorite local tree farm to find THE TREE.  We...

January Appt

So this morning I rushed off to a monthly appointment, my first since "going public". Jeff decided not to go, since he describes these appointments as boring. I like to think of them as boringly good! As a result, there is not a whole lot to report. I am 17 weeks, 2 days today which means I'm in my last week of the fourth month. I have gained 6 pounds since the beginning of this pregnancy, which is a little hard to take. Having been the same weight since high school, this weight gaining thing is going to take some getting used to. One of my students described me as being "round in the middle and skinny everywhere else" (see today's photo for proof). I guess that doesn't sound so bad. I'm doing my best to remind myself that this is a necessary part of the process. My blood pressure was slightly elevated from normal, but the nurse said that could be a result of my rush to arrive in time. Altogether, nothing too much to worry about. I did mention to the...